Before submitting the patch for code review, I had to first to install the Chromium depot_tools. This is done by cloning its Git repository and adding it to $PATH:
> git clone https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/tools/depot_tools.git
> export PATH="$PATH":`pwd`/depot_tools
After doing so, I synchronized my local clone of the Blink repository with the official tree:
git pull --rebase origin master.
And to ensure that my patch was free of formal errors, I ran the Closure Compiler on my code:
My code being free of warnings and errors, I could proceed by making the initial commit, making sure to refer to the number of the issue I had created earlier:
git commit -m "#418406 DevTools: Add regex support for console search".
After creating the commit, it was time to upload the patch (via depot_tools), thanks to the issue number reference the feature request issue gets referenced automatically in the corresponding code review issue:
git cl upload --bypass-hooks.
--bypass-hooks option is to disable certain upload hooks that apparently aren’t necessary, and break for some reason. The patch upload wizard prompted me to enter my Chromium Code Reviews credentials, which I did after creating an account on there. After the wizard finished, I was notified that the a code review issue was successfully created:
Issue created. URL: https://codereview.chromium.org/632573002"`.
Afterwards I announced my reviewable patch at the DevTools mailing list and several Chromium developers signed up as reviewers. The reviewers provided a great amount of useful feedback, resulting in at the time of writing 3 revisions of my original patch. Through reviewer feedback, however, it turns out that work has been going on elsewhere in the DevTools system to introduce regex search, so my patch will have to be revised from the ground up to base itself on said work. This will be the subject of another post.